RE: AVGAS

There are perplexing things in your situation. But to answer
the question, I don't think 100+ octane AVGAS would hurt the
engine.

My understanding of octane is that it makes fuel burn better
resulting in lower operating temperatures. When fuel
detonates ('diesels') it produces more heat and stress on an
engine. So more octane, more burning rather than
detonations.

An Alfa 2.0 L should run OK on 89 rated fuel and be happy
with 93...if you need 100 or higher to make it drivable,
there's something very wrong. If you've checked the timing
throughout the range of RPM and it is correct, start looking
elsewhere. Don't laugh, but I've had similar problems when I
once got the plug wires out of order on my first Alfa. Hey,
I was only 19 and had limited experience! It's not hard to
get them wrong (to this day, I paint dots -- one dot for #1,
two for #2, and so on -- on the distributor and both ends of
the wires to help avoid this type of simple error.)

The problem might be related to the fuel system, but I'll
leave it to others to help with these items. I've been away
from both side-draft Webers and Spica injection systems for
too long to be any help. My last two Alfas have been Bosch
systems.

Good luck!

- - Eric Hambleton

1983 GTV6 with lots of new bits under the hood
1988 Volvo 740 -- 'Max' -- with front brake rotors made of
butter and an indestructible engine