91 Spider SRS warning light

Perhaps someone in alfa-cyberland can provide some insight into the only
chronic problem I've experienced (since new) with my 1991 Spider.  The problem
is that every once in a while the srs (airbag) warning light goes on,
signalling some sort of fault.  I've heard a faulty ground can cause this but
are there other causes? One I know of is if you are inattentive enough to
whack a chuckhole hard enough.  My most recent problem with this light
occurred after starting the car after it had not been started in a bit over a
month.  After the engine intially fired, it died and then required a good deal
of grinding on the starter before starting.  At this point the srs light lit
up and has stayed so ever since.  Another thought, is there an easy way I
could reset the code and turn off the light myself?  Thanks for any help here.
Jim H.
91 Alfa Spider
98 Audi A4  (quite a car, even if it isn't Italian)