re:adjusting Konis

Michael,

Re adjusting your Konis. My next door Neighbour (Barry Brookes) is the Koni
distributor for Australia and I have heard him on numerous occasions say
that the adjustment is only a wear compensator and should not be used as a
stiffness adjuster. If you want to do that you need to change the valving,
otherwise the damping properties will not be right and you will get strange
suspension responses. If the dampers are new, just try them on the low
setting.

He gets numerous people coming in complaining about the strange behaviour
(suspension response) of their car after they set them on the hardest
setting. In many instances (especially 105 rear suspensions) this can also
rip out the top tower location for the shockers so be warned! Remember the
shock absorber is primarily there as a means of damping the motions of the
suspension (as heat in the shocker - ie its an energy dissipator, which is
what causes them to wear - oil,valving etc). If you want stiffer suspension
you need to go to stiffer springs, less body roll - stiffer sway bars etc.
Don't try to get your shocker to do things for which they are not primarily
designed.

If you want to talk directly to Barry re what to do etc (and to hopefully
confirm what I said above!) his phone number is 9873 1722 (that's in
Melbourne)

Warren Reid
Melbourne, Australia

86 Spider Veloce (Konis soon)
68 1750 GTV (Konis and new suspension all round - wow what a difference!)
84 Alfetta GCL (Konis)
58 and 61 Bugeyes (Armstrong lever arms!)