Re: alfa-digest V7 #418

In a message dated 1/25/99 10:14:43 AM Central Standard Time, owner-alfa-
digest@domain.elided writes:

<<     I have a quite a few questions,though.I apologise to all digesters for
 asking so many questions, but this inquiring mind needs to know......
 1.Anybody have a  factory 1979 Alfetta coupe owners manual and factory
 workshop manual they want to sell?Did Haynes make a manual for this car?

Yes, Haynes does/did have a manual for the Alfetta 116 cars.  Can be hard to
come by.  Don't have the number handy, but will send it later.

 off once in a while:)
 4.Were the door handles painted on these cars?Mine are in body color.

On my 79 Sprint Veloce the door handles are flat black and chrome.  MM may
have been different.

 7.I cannot get 2nd gear in this car.1st,3rd,4th and 5th are fine.Haven't
tried
 double clutching it, but my usual Milano"first gear,neutral,slow into
 second"technique only results in grinding.All of the other gears "feel"
 good,but the shifts don't seem as precise as my Milano.The shifter feels
 really loose and "sloppy".  Reverse engages,but it feels (Compared to my
 Milano)like you need to reach a few FEET over and down to get it.I've never
 fiddled with shift linkages,could it be a messed up shift linkage that's
 causing my inability to get second gear engagement?The clutch feels like new,
 too.

Probably not a good sign...

 9.This is a 1979 model Alfetta;do these later model Alfettas go through
 driveshaft donut failures like the Sport sedans of the same vintage?I'm
 surmising that the front donut is bad;I'm getting a bit of noise and
vibration
 from what seems like this area.I'm also getting some noise from the front
 right wheel area,I'm assuming a front wheel bearing is going out.......

I have had my SV for about 8 years and have only replaced the donuts once.

 10. I thought the alfettas had a water pump pulley mounted clutch fan;this
has
 an electric fan that looks like one half of the GTV6 setup,mounted on the
 radiator (which itself is mounted at a slight angle,is this normal?)

The electric fan set up you describe is the stock set-up, but I have added a
front pusher fan as well.

 11.The cams are chain driven,I pulled the cam cover off and there was no play
 in the timing chain.Coming from the V6 timing belt/water pump school,does
this
 chain need to be replaced ?How long do they last?

They will last almost indefinately unless the engine is totally abused.

 Jerry in Houston

End of alfa-digest V7 #419