Which transaxle do I have?

I'm sure this topic has been beaten to death but I haven't been able to
find the info I've been looking for:

Is there any way to determine which transaxle (as in final drive ratio
and LSD / Non-LSD) one has WITHOUT removing the unit from the car?

The only obvious, external characteristics I can identify are the type
of speedometer sender, and the type of shifter.

I read somewhere that you can tell by the "webbing" on the exterior of
the differential:  Look for an "A" shape?

I've also read that you could tell by removing either the drain plug, or
the filler plug (it didn't say) and look inside the box (through the
hole) and it is stamped on a visible component.  The author didn't say
whether this applied to 4cyl or V6 Alfas...

Another method that has been suggested is to drive the car and see how
fast you are going at 3000RPM in 5th gear.  There seems to be some
debate over the accuracy of this method, and as to which box = which
speed at 3000...

There must be a way to tell without dismantling the transaxle.  Can
anyone help?

Thanks again,

Scott Goodwin
82 GTV/6 Balocco 3.0