Leaking Oil Caps

I seem to have the dreaded leaking oil cap syndrome (on my '86 spider).
A little while back, someone (Fred?) had suggested surfacing the oil
filler neck, to improve the seal against the cap's gasket.  What's the
appropriate material with which to polish scratches from the oil fill
opening, and how can one avoid getting little metal bits into the
engine?

And on a related note, I get nasty burning-oil fumes in the cockpit.  I
had always assumed they were exhaust fumes, and, as I mentioned to
Bruce, went as far as having the dual tips cut off my Ansa rear and
replaced with a factory-style tip, pointing down.  Well, it deadened
some of the sweetness of the exhaust note, but didn't help the fumes a
bit.  Whil it's still possible the fumes come in past the trunk seal, is
also possibe they're coming directly from the engine compartment?  Could
oil be burning on the outside of the engine somewhere, and stinking up
the cockpit?  Other possibilities?  I do have very high oil
consumption...

TIA,

Hal Taylor
Venice, CA (too far for Fred's 164, even at 171 mph)
'86 spider veloce "Strega"