AlfaBill's efforts/hopping up an '84 Spider(longish)

1.	AlfaBill's efforts:  If the Leica Digest can get enough $$
together (no VISA cards or anything) to buy the list owner/keeper a
*new* Leica M6, surely we can come up with enough for a *used* Alfa!  I
admit it might be a bit inconvenient for folks outside the country to
participate, but it can be done:  get $10 (US) from a bank in exchange
for whatever the equivalent amount is in the local currency, put it in
an envelope and mail the doggone thing.  I've bought many things for my
Alfa from Europe and somehow there seems to be no problem when I sent
US$. Sorry to sound unsympathetic, but enough is enough.

2.	With regards to Bill's bona fides, I have only this to say:
when his Milano was smacked up by an errant Atlanta driver a year ago
last December, there was some question as to whether we could "field
engineer" it enough to get him back to Tampa.  At that time, I would
have gladly lent him my Spider to get him home (and I did indeed make
such an offer), and I had only met him once.  I would make the offer
again in a New York minute.  If I can trust him with my Spider,
kwitcherbellyachin' about whether or not you can trust him with $10 and
pony up.

3.	If you can afford an Alfa and the computer to read the Digest,
you can afford $10.  I have to answer to "She-Who-Must-Be-Obeyed" and I
still managed.  The Digest is worth it.  Pony up.

4.	'84 Spider mods.  I don't profess to be an expert here, but
here's what I've picked up in looking at the various options for my '83.
The best thing to do would be to talk with your Alfa mechanic since
having lots of HP isn't all that useful if there's something else in the
car that needs attention before you can enjoy it.  But, pressing on . .
. How to get to around 140-150Hp in the Alfa 2 liter is pretty well
understood.  More than that takes a toll in streetability, at least in
the cars I've driven.  The amount of streetability that you're willing
to sacrifice is a very personal choice, which is why "local
consultation" is a good idea.  Join the local club and see, maybe even
drive, cars that have the mods you're thinking about.  The Bosch ECU is
relatively tolerant of a large number of changes, but the VVT does limit
cam choices, etc.  I'm assuming that the ignition, etc. is in good
working order.  You might check the coil/plug wires since if they're
original, they're tired.  I'm also assuming that you've done the
tire/suspension/brake work to get your new found power on the road and
keep it there.  Basically, since the engine is nothing more than a pump,
improving flow through the pump is the initial step.  For bolt-ons,
start with the intake and exhaust sides.  You can replace the stock air
filter/airbox with a K&N or use a higher airflow air filter in the stock
airbox (I think there's a modification that you can make to the K&N for
a 164, and IAP sells a "Sprint" one as well.  I'm sure that others on
this list can correct me here.)  The stock exhaust manifold and
downpipe/cat converter can be replaced with a '74 manifold with a custom
down pipe built off the '74 down pipe leading into a separate cat con.
Hans Milo in Atlanta has done this modification many times and I'm sure
that others like Peter Krause and Joel have as well.  The '74 manifold
is as good as it gets for street Spiders, I'm told, since it gives
reasonable performance with decent longevity.  Replacing the '84 vintage
cat con with a new "free flow" unit won't hurt either.  While you're at
it, replace the stock cat back system with a Stebro stainless steel
system and enjoy the improved "music."

		The next step involves more than bolt-ons, since the
"traditional" next step is to move to larger valves and porting and
polishing the head.  Well, I suppose it's "bolt-on" since it's possible
to unbolt the head, take it to your favorite Alfa shop (or ship it to
Sperry Valve Works) and bolt it back on when you get it back. :-)  The
"agressiveness" of the valve/head work is dependent on the type of
driving that one intends to do, and, I suppose, the amount of $$ you
want to spend.

		Assuming that your lust for increased HP isn't satiated,
it's time to go to higher compression pistons.  Later Spiders using the
Motronic engine management system used higher compression pistons than
their earlier Jetronic sisters, and there are plenty of aftermarket
choices too.  Again, getting the guidance of an experienced Alfa
mechanic would be a good idea.  Higher compression means more octane
needed in the gas and it also can effect emissions in ways that might be
problematic for the Jetronic to deal with (can anybody elaborate on
this?).

		Lastly comes fooling with the cams.  Although cams can
certainly improve breathing (higher lift, etc.) and improve horsepower,
it is also true that cams can seriously effect streetability as they can
alter idle smoothness and, as a gross generalization, the more
aggressive the cam, the higher in the RPM range the HP peak will be.
What works in a race car is not necessarily a good choice for a daily
driver that deals with stop-n-go traffic.  The VVT does seriously limit
the amount of tinkering that can be done with overlap, etc. but that's
not to say that some tweaking isn't possible.

		OK, I'm done.

		Bill Bain
		'83 Spider - repainted and gradually coming back
together.

End of alfa-digest V7 #407