Re: Why Sliding block on racers

Will's, Simon's, and Richard's discussion of the properties and
"correctness" of the various ways of locating is very interesting. I
would like to bring up a few points that seems to have been missed.

1. A live axel and a Dedion rear suspension are geometrically
identical. They differ only in which mechanical components are attached
to the chassis and which are not suspended.

2. The transverse location system of a Dedion/live axel has three (not
two) functions:
    a. Setting the rear roll center;
    b. Controlling transverse location of the wheels and the mechanism
       that connects them;
    c. Controlling the roll moment arm (virtual), the distance between
       the roll center and the center of gravity of the chassis.

As Richard pointed out, the inside-out Watts link of the Alfetta
chassis is incorrect.  What makes it incorrect is that the roll center
is fixed relative to the axel, so moves relative to the chassis. This
results in a variable length roll moment arm. This causes the center of
gravity to have more leverage when the wheels are drooped and less
leverage when the wheels are bounced.  (In other words, the geometry
causes the chassis to roll a lot more when the wheels go down and a lot
less when the wheels go up.)  This makes the rear cornering behavior less
predictable than is desirable.

Richard made the mistake, however, of claiming that the sliding block
system is geometrically correct.  It is not.  It is just as bad as the
inside-out Watts link in fixing the rollcenter to the axel and not the
chassis.

The Panhard rod is superior to the inside-out Watts and sliding block
linkage, and inferior to the right-way Watts linkage in that it fixes
the roll center half way  between the chassis and the axel.  This makes
the roll moment arm half as variable as it is with the inside-out Watts
and the sliding block linkage.  But it is still variable.

Another linkage which is similar to the right-way Watts linkage, but
allows a lower roll center is the Mumford system. This has been used in
Mallock race cars for some time.  (Mallock's are front engine, live
axel formula race cars that are highly competitive in a number of club
racing series in the UK. Yes, they compete successfully with rear-mid
engined race cars!)

Lastly, we should note what is wrong with the rear suspension geometry
in our beloved 750, 101, 105, and 115 chassis Alfas. (Well, I'm nuts
about them!)  In all of these chassis, the transverse location is done
by an "A" arm above the axel.  (Yes, that cast aluminum do-dad,
officially called a "trunion", in the 105-115 cars is really an "A" arm.)

The fault with it is that it puts the rear roll center rediculously
high, which makes the roll moment arm much too short.  This makes the
roll characteristics of the rear suspension too stiff, which tends to
induce overstear. (Alfa designed a lot of roll induced camber change
into the front suspension to compensate.)

Alfa switched from the hard ball joint as the pivot point in the
750/101 cars to the rubber bushed pivot point in the 105/115 cars. This
softened the effect of the high roll center, but does not "correct" the
problem.

Back to the original question. Aside from its geometric imperfections,
the sliding block location system has the fault of hanging greased
surfaces out in the air, under the car.  So, they grab all the gritty
stuff available and grind the locating surfaces.  The result is that
the steel block and the steel locating surfaces have to be replaced
quite frequently.

On the other hand, If you HAVE to use the system, Alfa Ricambi was
trying to get rid of some sliding block replica packages a year ago.
The good part of the sliding block package it the ball jointed radius
arm and aluminum structure that replaces the trunion arm.

chrisp