Re: alfa-digest V7 #397

> From: Will Owen <nashwill@domain.elided>
> Subject: Getting the lead out
>
> In v.7 #396, Fred Di matteo said: "When are all of you asking
> questions about leaded fuel going to smarten
> up? No engine ever needs leaded fuel anymore because octane ratings
> are high enough for all but race cars. Just forget that lead does
> anything for the engine!  But ruin the cat con."
>
> It's a damned brave gearhead who picks an argument with Fred on
> technical matters, but I have in front of me an article in the latest
> issue (Feb. '99) of "Classic & Sports Car" on how "The Federation of
> British Historic Vehicle Clubs has begun testing lead substitutes in
> preparation for the ban on the sale of leaded fuel in the UK at the
> end of 1999, which could affect up to 2.3 million vehicles." It goes
> on to say, "The Federation has engaged leading independent automotive
> research outfit MIRA to test-run an engine, using various additives,
> while keeping a close eye on valve seat recession, the main problem
> with using unleaded fuel in an engine not designed for it."

While I do have a minor issue with the rather brusque tone Mr. DiMatteo
takes (leaded fuel for fools? c'mon Fred, act like a gentleman!) I do have
to agree with him in so far as Alfa Romeo engines are concerned. In the
course of having hundreds of Alfa heads rebuilt while running the
cylinder head program at IAP, I often heard complaints from various
machinists that the valve seats on Alfas (and even MORE so on Fiats)
are so hard that it was difficult for them to keep the cutting tools
sharp on their valve grinding machines. I have never seen any evidence
of valve seat recession on the engine of any Italian car. While I appreciate
the concern of those faced with a changing fuel situation, it is, in my opinion
a non-issue.

Joel Hailey
Centerline Products
Boulder CO