Re: Alfa-digest V7 #390 (GTV 6GP/ Split dash saga..) & SUVs

Robert Jones wrote:
>There was also a redesign of the air filter box around 1984,
>going to a rectangular/flat filter element, (Technocar
>part # A151), instead of the "classical" tubular element.
>The air box includes (bottom) half ram tubes and IMHO,
>improves air flow. They are also very hard to find.

Hi Robert,

I am confused with this.  Was this change in airbox only the Alfetta sedan
or the GTV?  My '82 GTV has the airbox you describe.  As far as I know it is
original and has the flat filter element.  My car is compliance plated in
1982 which probably means it was built sometime in 1981.  My mechanic has a
1981 Alfetta GTV and it has the same airbox and I believe it is standard
too.

Can't resist the SUV debate that continues to rage.  I keep thinking about
the "good old days" when the American pioneers drove their wagons west
across the continent.  Some of them had small sporty (Alfa Romeo) covered
wagons with hot rod wheels and foxtails and all the go fast gear.  The
Indians had the stripped down (Harley Davidson) travois slung behind the
ponies and were quick, nimble and mobile.  Some of the less considerate and
anti-social wagoneers had them big ugly mothers with several oxen in front,
huge ground clearance, antisocial methane habits and no pedestrian
friendly/other driver friendly bumper heights.  get hit by one of those and
you were headed for the big beyond.  Somehow enough life managed to survive
to make it to present day.  Our technology even managed to flourish and
develop - or did it?

Face it guys - we may not always like what the other guy does but at least
respect their right to make a good (or bad) decision on their own - for
their own reasons!

Regards,

John Heidemann
Brisbane Australia