Re: Wrapping manifolds, etc.

Jess Liao asks:

Any down side effect for wrapping the manifold?
I know that exhaust temperature will increase, I wonder if the increase
is significant to cause cat converter to over heat? Any other effect
to the engine?

Actually, when I picked up the box of wrap, I just wanted to wrap the
exhaust near right rear brake caliper...

To the best of my knowledge, CAT's like heat. Your right rear caliper
will thank you. Every Alfa that comes into my shop gets the exhaust
wrapped if it comes within a nanometer of the caliper. A number of years
ago I was at Willow Springs (So. CA) and an engineer/time trialer with
sophisticated equipment told me that the right caliper was reading at a
considerably higher temperature than the left rear.

IMP (in my opinion) holding the wrap down with hose clamps looks kludgey
(sp?). I use Earls .032 Type 302 s/s (stainless) Safety Wire. Doesn't
show, doesn't rust. This, of course, will be our little secret.

Biba
Irwindale CA