Wheels & tempering..

>I'd like to strip the paint off some BWA mags but I don't want to
>do it out in the cold.  Can I take them to a local paint stripping house
>and have them dunk the things in their vat of EPA-banned chemicals or lye?
>Any kind of stripping chemicals I should avoid?

I would like to suggest getting them powder coated.  Bring them to someone
who coats them and they'll strip them and coat them.  I can only speak of
the results of powder coating as wonderful.

>	And how does one temper mild steel stock?  Is it 1)heat up to wheat
>color and then dunk in water or oil or 2)heat up to wheat color and let
>cool slowly or 3) none of the above?   Can't remember which one is correct.

        What are you trying to do?  Yes by heating the metal and quenching
you will acheive a certain amount of hardness (different using oil or
water.)  Number 2 is more of a untempering of the metal, used to relieve
stresses in the metal.

DOM!