More on SUV's, Chrysler New Yorker

Mike:

You said, "I bet an Alfa hit by a '69 Chrysler New Yorker would look the
same as one
hit by a SUV."

It most certainly would not!

You may be interested to know that the heaviest '69 Chrysler New Yorker was
a Town & Country station wagon that weighed in at 4,495 lbs.  Certainly not
a lightweight like our Alfas.  But, not as heavy as the average SUV of
today. (Know what a Chevy Suburban weighs?  Try adding the weight of an Alfa
to the Chrysler's weight to start.)  AND, ITS BUMPER WAS AT OUR ALFA BUMPER
HEIGHT.  NOT TWO FEET ABOVE!!!!  Consequently, it WOULD NOT look the same.
The monocoque structure of the Alfa would absorb much more of any impact at
bumper height than it would be able to absorb if hit at the upper-most part
of the body.

In addition, they only made 14,408 of those heavy-weight '69 Chrysler
wagons.  How many SUV's are sold each year?  Did you know that 45% of new
vehicles now sold are trucks like the SUV's (More accurately SUT's) we are
discussing?  Plug those numbers into calculating the air pollution, road
destruction, tax avoidance, safety equations with which we should be
concerned.  And, you'll go back to calling old Alfas like my '61 Veloce
"green" cars.

SUT's are useful for a few.  But, dangerous to almost all of us in many
different ways.  We also need to be concerned with the safety of the
occupants of those high center-of-gravity vehicles that are far more prone
to rolling over than you can imagine.  Consumers Reports made a big deal out
of this problem on a Japanese or Korean SUT a few years ago.  But, the
reality is that ALL SUT's are much more prone to rollover than standard
passenger cars - ESPECIALLY our beloved Alfas.

In the recent snows here in Connecticut, many of the slowest vehicles on the
road were SUT's.  Why?  Because they don't handle well, AND have terrible
tires even when new.  In other words, truck tires may be great for
straight-line longevity in the dry.  But, they are the pits for turning or
stopping, especially in rain or snow.  That's why so many are involved in
accidents (a higher percentage than passenger cars relative to their total
count).

Help preserve our environment.  Join the voices speaking out against this
environmental assault by truck manufacturers.  And, help preserve Alfas in
the process.

Norm Sippel
'61 Sprint Veloce & other little &/or environmentally friendly cars

End of alfa-digest V7 #385