164 tranny life

Rick,

	You are correct about the reason for the long life. My old co-worker at
the Volvo Alfa SAAB dealer told me that the SAAB and Alfa shared
trannies, and the reason for early death was lack of regular fluid
changes where the fluid varnish would build up in the top part somewhere
and cause problems. I forget the gory details, but frequent fluid
changes make for a happy gearbox.

Bill

> I hope to get some feedback from fellow 164 owners regarding the durability of
> their automatic transmissions.  Recently a dealer shop manager was surprised
> to find out that I had 120K miles on the original.  This was a cause for alarm
> for obvious reasons, however there are no signs of performance problems.  Am I
> lucky, or has regular synthetic trans fluid made the difference.  Maybe rarely
> using the drive setting has saved some unnecessary shifting wear.  I would
> value all responses.
>
> Rick Rodosta
> Eugene,  OR
> 91, 164L
> 86 Veloce Spider

- --
Bill Harkell
Internet Sales Department
Mastro Subaru/Alfa Romeo
Tampa Florida USA
Toll Free 800-683-2532 Int'l 813-884-7513 FAX 813-885-7160
http://mastrosubaru.com