Re: GTV6 Ponderings

>Date: Mon, 11 Jan 1999 22:27:12 EST
>From: JHertzman@domain.elided
>Subject: Subject: Re: GTV6 ponderings
>
>There seems to be a disconnect between the conventional understanding of
>Alfettas and GTV6s in the USA and in other parts of the world, both on
>chronology and on "Special Editions". On chronology, I had understood that
>1986 was the end of the line. On both interiors and exteriors I had understood
>that the "second series" changes were across the board, and that the split
>dash left the Alfetta with the "second series" at the time that the GTV-6 was
>introduced in 1980/81. The RHD market, with its conversion problems, could
>have been out of synch with the LHD markets on dashboard design, I suppose.

We started getting the plastic bumper models around late 82, early 83, and
they all had the split dash. A carryover from the older GTVs.
Probably because we are in the bum-end of the world? Although we are getting
the new Alfas and you guys aren't *gloat*gloat* :-)

>The USA market had a slew of cosmetic "Special Editions" on various models,

We got the "Strada", a differently stickered and coloured Alfetta GTV 2L.
They cam in Gunmetal Grey with Golde striping and lettering, and Golde
painted wheels. I thinkt eh interior was Tan to match the Gold.
We also had the "Sportiva" and "Sportiva II". Both were based on the Alfetta
2L Sedan. The first Sportiva in 1980 came with stripes, stickers, and
different 14" alloy rims and square headlights. The Sportiva II came in 1983
with the later model GTV/GTV6 15" alloy rims, smaller more subtle stickers
and stripes, and a neat front spoiler, but it switched to quad headlights
(i.e. 4 round ones ala GTV).
That's about it until the GTV6 Grand Prix. I believe that this was a
worldwide model, as several people from overseas have referred to the
bodykit that came with it as the "Grand Prix" bodykit, which consists of
real spoiler, front spoiler, sideskirts and wheelarch flares. The kit is
replicated by Andrew Papadopoulos' "Serpent" bodykit (which can be seen at
Http://people.enternet.com.au/~chrispap)
Oh, I forgot, we had a handful of Autodelta kitted TURBOcharged Alfetta
sedans in 2L form around 1981. The car ended up with about 110kW of power,
up from the standard 90kW, and had wide 14" Simmons rims, and a tasty black
lower half for maximum racer appeal.

>So- I would float the idea that perhaps the Australian "Grand Prix" special
>edition referred to by both Robert Jones and Nathan Wong may have been an
>Australian-market thing while the Swiss "Grand Prix" special edition owned by
>Jaap Bouma may have been a Swiss-market thing, with no connection other than
>the obvious panache which the label conveys. If anyone knows more with greater
>certainty Jaap, and perhaps others, would be glad to know.

I think if Jaap shows us a pic of his car (I am sure I have seen it
previously), you will find its the same as Chris Papadopoulos' car and the
Australian market GTV6 Grand Prix.
- --
Nathan Wong             http://www.nectar.com.au/~alfacors
                      Super Touring - Club Cars - Alfa Romeo