Throttle cable hook up and transmission question.

Hi all,
	The question about the cold start reminded me to ask this question.  I have a
1978 Spider.  The throttle cable, the hand one, goes from the interior console
through the firewall and then into a bracket that holds the end firmly into
position.  There, the thin wire comes out and engages a lever to activate the
accelerator linkage.  At the point that the thin wire is supposed to be hooked
to the linkage mine is not.  At the end of the wire is a small set screw type
of clamp.  The linkage has a hoop in the end that is about an inch in
diameter.  It appears that a bushing in this hoop would allow the wire to be
securely attached to move the linkage.  Is this correct?  If I am does anyone
have an idea as to where I can get this bushing?
If I have the right idea then I can find a bushing to fit one way or another.

Second question, What is the purpose of this throttle?  Cruise control?  Help
at startup isn't really needed in my SPICA car as it starts right up, at least
it should once I get the SPICA pump properly tuned.

Last Question.  I have a spare parts car with a supposedly really good
transmission.  I say supposedly because when I bought it the guy told me he
was selling it because of the rust.  However, when I took out the radiator I
found it coated with a slick oil sludge.  Without looking further it seems to
be a blown head gasket.  So I am now doubting his claims about the
transmission being "recently rebuilt."  I am pulling the engine and
transmission out of Scarlet, my spider, for her makeover and had intended to
swap the transmissions.  Mine is slipping a little and it is real easy to
grind the gears in 1st, 2nd, and 3rd.  Is there anyway to find out the
condition of the spare transmission without installing it and testing it out?
Thanks ahead of time for your help.
Ed Gibbs
AROC South FL
78 Alfa Spider "Scarlet"