Pondering a GTV6?

Ben asks:

>can anyone give me some broad info about the GTV6, such as - should I get
>2.5 or 3 litre, what years were nicest, how much should a decent one cost
>me, any things to look out for, etc.  Im in AUSTRALIA - so Im particularly
>interested in response from people here in Oz.

Nathan replies:

"Ummmm, a 3L GTV6? Unless someone dropped a replacement engine in, you wont
find one (South African carby models aside).
Try and go for as late a model as possible. In 1985 they got rid of the
"split" dash, so the instruments are all relatively in view. The styling
hardly changed from year to year until the Grand Prix model came out in
1987(?)
Maybe check with your local arm of AROCA and see if anyones got one for
sale?
I would rather buy a known car from within the club personally....

Where's Bill Magoffin? I'm sure he has a tale or two to tell about having a
GTV6?"

Here I am!! Just back from hols and catching up on digests!!!.

In OZ the ones to go for are late '85 (IMHO)

They started coming in '83 with the split dash but lost that later in '83.
Split dash GTV6's are quite rare.

Mid '85 they got the Isostatic gearbox which does improve shifting somewhat
over previous models. The GP came in '86 with a body kit and an unleaded
motor (premium).

GP's seem to command a premium over the others but IMO the body kits add
nothing to the car visually, it is striking enough in standard form and
availability of parts will be a problem in years to come if not already.

The '85 gives you the leaded motor, isostatic box and as new as possible
vehicle.

Price is strictly related to condition. As little as under AU$10K for a
high milage one in average order to around AU$20K for a pristine low milage
car. You get what you pay for.

The cars in OZ are primarily Silver, Red and White. Most, of not all have
Air Con (FWIW) and some have Sunroof's.

Mike Harris has an excellent (US) GTV6 web site http://www.gtv6.org/.

You will find my car there in the '97 gallery.

Probably best to email me privately for more detailed thoughts and opinions
on the GTV6  as a daily driver. It is important to ge the right car with
some key work already done and if a GTV6 is for you there are some around
depending on your budget.

Regds

Bill

Disclaimer:
White December 1985 GTV6 with 62K Km from new
116 Register Secretary AROCA NSW