Duetto trunk latch

Recently, I've been encountering some difficulties opening the trunk of
my Duetto.  On sporadic occasions, it will take me a dozen or so tries
to open it. There seems to be no correlation between wiggling the latch
or tapping the trunk and the lid opening- at some point, it will just
open.

Needless to say, having recently read about others' Spider trunk
problems, I'm nervous.  There doesn't seem to be any way to open the
trunk if the cable and/ or latch fail.

Perhaps the cable needs to be tightened?  Any suggestions to
troubleshoot this situation?  Also, is there some way to design an
auxiliary release in case the latch/ cable goes at some point?

Many thanks in advance.

Robin
Oakland, CA

'67 Duetto (ardent abuser of AAA Plus last week- 3 times in 24 hours :-(
'92 Saab 900