Re: alfa-digest V7 #361

In a message dated 1/4/99 10:28:30 AM Central Standard Time, owner-alfa-
digest@domain.elided writes:

<<
 Date: Sun, 03 Jan 1999 22:59:34 -0500
 From: dshimano@domain.elided
 Subject: Castrol Syntec

 hello digesti,

 ..much frightening talk circulating about synthetic oil wearing on
 alfas, and all this time i have been
 running Castrol Syntec [full synthetic] 5W-50 in my 164Q. Anyone have
 any experience using
 same, or any feedback pos, neg or other?

 thanx,
 dave s.
 95 164Q >>
Look and see what the factory recommends.  I believe that the 164's were
recommended to use AGIP synthetic.  I had an Alfa mechanic for years tell me
that Castrol dino oils caused Alfa cams to wear prematurely because they
bought junk crude from the spot market, yada, yada, yada!!!  I never believed
it and I think his was  based on a single example of a car with worn lobes
that happened to use Castrol.  N=1...not very reliable.

Jerry in Houston