Popping out of Gear

Driving to Houston tonite I experienced a very disconcerting
occurrence. I kept popping out of 5th gear while maintaining my 164L
Manuel at 3000 RPMs. It happened over a dozen times throughout the 4
hour drive. I was able to put it back in gear without any problems or
hitches. I'd be driving along and I'd hear a thump from the tranny and
I'm out of gear! Is it possible that my transmission is having a  hard
time keeping in gear at 3000? I can feel the extra stress on the
shifter at that RPM. In stop and go traffic, I'm shifting all the time
so I haven't had it pop out in any other gear. I'd like to make it
back to Dallas  safely so any help would be appreciated!

Danny
91 164L
112k
Dallas, Texas