Re: Lucas Bashing

While we're on the subject, let's not forget that Lucas perpetuated (or
is that inflicted?) the positive ground myth on quite a few early Alfas.
There are few things more confusing to some people than trying to undo
the damage done by one errant theory of electricity. I debunked the whole
positive ground "religion" years ago on rec.autos.tech (Usenet). My
conclusion about why it finally died out was the advent of Silicon solid
state electronics in cars which would have made a positive ground design
much more expensive.

Lucas electrical systems are also reported to operate on the "smoke"
theory of electricity. This theory holds that the wires do not carry
electricity, they merely contain the vital smoke particles. When the
smoke leaks out, the system stops working. ;=)