Re: alfa-digest V7 #321 Mark's lowering...

<Instead of screwing up the spring, just remove the perches at each
<end(of the spring) and add washers in order to lower the lower spring
<pan. Place 1/2" to 3/4" (13mm to 19mm) worth of washers between the
<bottom of the lower control arm and the top of the lower spring perch on
<all four corners (of the spring perch). you'll get your desired front
<end drop without any compromise other than perhaps hitting the bump
<stops on full compression. -Peter Krause

Thanks for the suggestion: actually that is what the car had when I bought
it: about 25mm of washers between the arms and the spring pans. Still had
the 10mm aluminium spacer under the spring though (which incidentally
resulted in a lot of corrosion in the pan). I had some negative comments
about this method from some people, partly related to possible reductions in
stiffness of the spring pan/wishbone assembly. The method does have some
appeal though, it's easy to do (if you do one bolt at a time you shouldn't
have to remove the spring, it is adjustable and is easy to return to stock
if required. In my case all of the front end is out for rebushing/new
balljoints anyhow.

The car is (was.. it's really high on axle stands at present!) still
slightly high at the front (about 10mm) relative to the rear which has been
lowered by some PO by cutting the springs. Removing the aluminium spacers
will give me the 10mm drop I want, cutting the springs will give a slight
increase in rate (rear is stiffer than stock), and I won't need to use the
spacers.

I'm open to suggestions though: have others got views on using spacers?

Thanks,

Mark Battley
Auckland, New Zealand.

1974 Alfa Romeo 2000 GTV
New front crossmember, antiroll bar mounts, apron, front suspension.. please
Santa can you help me finish it by Christmas??

Alfa Romeo 105 series Bertone Coupe home page and register at:
      http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/1806/105GTV.HTML