re: dooh and calendars

In AD v7n319, Gordy wrote about engaging in battles of wits with unarmed
people.

Whoa, Gordy, give yourself a break. With all due respect, all these folks who
want to argue about which year starts the century and which doesn't should
remember the mess that "Gregory" put us into when he messed with the calendar
(back in about 1200 or so, wasn't it?).

The number Gregory did on our tracking of time (You all remember the Gregorian
calendar, right? It's the one we use now.) so messed with accuracy that the
new century may not actually start for years. Then again, it may have already
started. At this point, it's a crapshoot as to who might be most correct.

Maybe there is a learned one who knows more of this calendar mess and can
enlighten us. I'm just a math guy.

Personally, I'm counting the 1999/2000 change as the beginning of the new
century. Because, in the grand scheme of things, counting won't amount to a
hill of beans and it will likely be the only century change I see. And because
that Prince song is so catchy...

2000, zero, zero, party over,
oops, out of time

so tonight I'm gonna party
like it's 1999 ...

<a quick and merciful fade to silence>

ciao

Tom
'63 Spider (<-- Alfa content Weak, I know)
Seattle