My 164 stumbling problem resolved

This is long

We picked up the wife's 164S last Thursday after almost a full month apart,
the next day found me at the racetrack, Summit Point for the last FATT of
the year.  The weather was cloudy, but temp in the mid 60s.  What a lucky
day at the track in December.  The car had been apart for the heads to be
worked on by Peter Krause, replacement of all rubber in the suspension,
installation of Shankle headers, and new brakes and clutch, I was here to
test it out.  (I needed to make sure it was safe for hauling the kids and
driving to the grocery store)

The car had all new valve stem seals and guides installed. I had suspected
it was burning oil, causing the Motronic system to lean out the fuel
mixture.  Peter said the old valve stem seals were crumbly (well cooked from
the common overheating problem and 112000 miles of use).  He did reshape the
bowl for better swirl in the chamber, but not a full port and polish.

Rosanova Alfa replaced the suspension bushings and reinstalled the heads and
headers.  While the engine was apart, it was time to replace the complete
clutch system including Master and Slave Cylinders, the original clutch was
still in it after 112K miles of city driving, and was not even close to
wearing down to the rivets. (I will never again critique my wife's clutch
action).  Sources of oil leaks were also remedied.

On track the car was shocking, amazing!  I had driven it on the track once
before.  It still pitches like the heavy sedan it is.  Stock brakes, street
tires and stock suspension do not make a race car, but this was still
incredible.  I had to slightly saw on the steering wheel coming out of turns
2 and 9 to keep the inside front wheel in contact with the ground, IT WAS
SPINNING from the additional power!  I was giddy with excitement.  I could
drag race anyone down the straight with only the 944 turbo and the Esprit
turbo passing. (I did lift to let everyone pass as I was clearly holding up
the fast run group in most turns)  Even my friend (a Porsche club instructor
w/ a full race 911) could not pass me on the straight until I lifted off the
gas.  By the last session, I was apparently turning 1:32 times according to
the same 911 instructor buddy.  What a blast!

The car was returned to my wife for her use still in one piece.  She has
also driven on the track before and will certainly take it again.

It is definitely a car to spend the money (and time) to replace all of the
old rubber, fix the oil leaks and redo the heads and make it ready for
another 100,000 miles.  I still have not installed the upgrade FI chip from
AR Ricambi, I have it, and will report to the AD on my impressions.  But the
engine now is certainly faster than the stock chassis and brakes can use
with just Shankle headers and Peter Krause's mild head work.

For you others with well used, high mileage 164s, thinking of buying another
car DON'T, recycle it.  It is still better than any new sedan under
$40-50,000, and has a soul others don't.

Oh, BTW it doesn't have the stumbling/hesitation/bucking problem anymore.
The only item replaced to have an affect on the engine's rough running was
valve seal and guide replacement.  I must say I am convinced my
rough running problems were caused by the oil leaking at the valve seals.
Not enough
to make blue smoke (modern FI systems and catalytic converters won't allow
it), but enough to make it run very poorly.

Loving the high 164S

Mark Jones
Chevy Chase, MD
91 164S (hers)
98 Dodge Ram Van (tow vehicle and work truck)
92 164L (STILL FOR SALE)
87 944Turbo (new track car)
86 GTV6 (fate uncertain)