old radio repairs,ideas to increase alfa businessLONG

Greetings Alfisti!
     For the gentleman looking to get an older Blaupunkt radio fixed (tube or
transistor circuitry?) ;sir, pick up a copy of the magazine "73" ,"popular
communications",or Hemmings Motor News at bookstores like
Cole's,Borders,Waldenbook or B.Dalton.The back of the magazines have numerous
places to send and have old radios fixed. There's also a place in Vienna,VA
that does excellent work,the name escapes me (mind is more blank than usual
this evening)  but I'll send it to you.I had a Hallicrafters S53A shortwave
rig reworked there and they did an incredible job.. Especially since they
stock old radio parts(a consideration since most tubes are simply unavailable
now )
        Ideas to build up an Alfa presence,hmmm,interesting thought.If you
have a mainline rice burner import as your bread and butter,you might want to
use the Alfa dealership as the "Sizzle on the steak",or the boutique brand so
to speak.Depending on the mainline brand you sell and since spiders are
probably the best known to non Alfisti,I'd try to keep  decent spiders on hand
for sale (don't forget the demo plan!!!!)I'd also offer some nice 164's and
Milanos at a good price(one of each to start, the initial investment is lower
and product turns should be higher) ;and if you can get an Alfa race car (a
nice GTV,perhaps)  into the mainline showroom,that may help with the floor
traffic into the Alfa dealership.Offer a 800 number parts line (although these
can be expensive!),C.O.D capability for UPS shipments for those of us who pay
cash only and email the phone number and parts available to fellow alfisti.I
for one will support you.Offer upgraded suspensions and things such as
that,you can order them in on an as needed basis and won't have to carry the
inventory or overhead.And,offer to install them for local customers.You'll
make a profit on the labor charges and the customer has the satisfaction of a
true Alfisti supervising the installation.Offer Alfa oil filters,water pumps,
timing belts,stepper motors;Lodge spark plugs;regular maintenance items on
hand for sale will insure guaranteed product turns and they're relatively low
cost for the dealer to stock .Bulk sales would not give you the repeat
business you probably need initially;you want the customers to keep calling
you.(I can imagine that you'll need to show good numbers quickly), Better
chances for that incremental sale that way.(Sorry Alfisti, the salesman in me
is speaking right now)
          To increase the local visibility of Alfa in general in the area (and
your dealership in particular),if you have a good local AROC or FLU (Fiat
Lancia unlimited) chapter in your area, arrange a car show(perhaps for several
different marques)  for your dealership.Build a reputation for always having
something going on at your dealership,a "quality event"; something different
than the "Big Blowout sale this weekend concept",that's a bit tired..........
                Don't forget your youth market,theyr'e buying up any speed
part available for their Hondas and Toyotas;and they could just as easily be
doing this on an Alfa as well.Youth today have no idea what an Alfa
is,capitalize on that by a club meet at your dealership.Advertise based on the
"exotic and affordable" appeal to the customers;hold "how to" sessions for
mechanical work and let it be known in local high schools and vo-tech schools
.Build that market,sell them alfas, and service them.If you could swing it, do
an autocross either at the dealership or sponsor one.Schmooze the local repair
shops in the area,let them know you work on Alfas,a car most mechanic shops
won't touch.(Mechanical labor work is invariably high profit,that would help
with your bottom line).
      I hope some of this helps;if you've already got a used car department a
few alfas there won't be any real additional expense.Mechanical work is being
done there on the new cars,I assume,so all the capital investments have been
made(tools, lifts, etc.) Everything else suggested can be done at relatively
low costs.If you've got an ad budget for your mainline brand;a little of it
for your alfa dealership isn't going to hurt your main marketing efforts.I
wish you luck, sir and let me know when your'e open so I can order from you.
Terry Akins
Alexandria,VA
87 Milano Gold (Alfie)
84 GTV6 (Vito)
and other automotive "stuff "clogging up the parking lot