fuel cap fitting corrosion on 164S

While replacing the rear brake pads and rotors on my 164S, I noticed
corrosion at the small steel? tube which connects the vapor tube to the
large rubber fuel filler pipe.  This is located just inboard of the fuel cap
assembly in the right rear fender.

When I removed the filler pipe, I found the fuel cap assembly is totally
corroded at the extension where the filler pipe attaches.

Has anyone else seen this problem?  The manual is not very helpful as to how
the filler cap assembly is removed.  Where can I get a replacement?

Any suggestions?   Also, although I tried to be gentle in removing the
filler pipe, I can pretty well expect that some bits of rust will have made
their way into the tank.  Should I plan to remove the tank for cleaning?
would replacing the fuel filter be enough?

It seems I remember some discussion about a recall for the rubber fuel pipe.
Was the cap assembly part of this recall?

I have not read anything about this in the digest, so 164 owners might be
advised to check these components.