Re: Alfa Wheel bearing grease brings back a fond memory (NOT XXX rated)

When I first bought my 71 GTV, I was teaching school, so during the first
summer I was able to spend as much of the day at the service center when I had
it serviced as I wanted.  Got to talk to the owner, Enrico Verdone, an
Italian, who was one of the first mechanics brought over Italy by Max Hoffman
when he started importing Alfas in the 50's.  Enrico opened his own Alfa
approved service center in Laurel, MD when Alfa started importing their own
vehicles.

One day, as I was arriving for some service work, Enrico was on the phone to
ARI about an order they had sent him.  Enrico only used Alfa Ricambi parts,
oil, grease, antifreeze, etc.  (I wish I had kept some of the Alfa oil
containers, but since they were cardboard they weren't really useful for much
once opened.)  Anyway, ARI had sent Enrico a CASE of wheel bearing grease
instead of the single gallon ordered.  Enrico was telling them in his accented
English that that was a lifetime supply and he was sending all but a gallon
back.  They were not happy, and Enrico was yelling into the phone.  "I tella
you, thats a not a going to happen, if you no takea the stuff back then I
tella you, F**ka you, thats what I tella you.  It just not right you makea
mistake and no takea the stuff back, well I tella you F**ka you." and so it
went for about another minute.

Now Enrico was a generally calm man, who I was almost positive didn't even
know the word, and back in the 70's you generally didn't use that type of
language unless really mad.  And to hear it with an Italian accent was just
too much.  When Enrico finally hung up, and began seeking sympathy from me, it
was all I could do to get my laughter under control.  Unfortunately, Enrico
died several months later, and my Alfa has never had such good care since.

If there are any digesters out there who remember Enrico, and have a story to
tell, some of the newer Alfa owners (less than 25 years) might be interested.

John Justus
1971 1750 GTV
1995 164Q