Re: Breaking Steel Wheels

Were the wheels seam welded?  Even Borrani didn't do this, AFAIK.  I
would tend to think an experienced racer like Steve P. would do this,
but it's worth noting.  I bet he was also using tires a bit stickier
than Pirelli Cinturatos.  ;=) Serious racers seam weld the chassis all
around the engine bay too.  For the unfamiliar, seam welding refers to
the practice of taking a spot-welded assembly and welding it up along
the entire length of the seam.  Seam welding reduces flex and adds a
lot of strength at fairly little cost.

In racing, ANYTHING can break.  Ever snap the nose piece off a
crankshaft?  I have.  Snapped it clean off right behind the #1 main.
(non-Alfa motor) BANG! -- silence -- images of dollar signs with wings.