76 Spider starter and fuse ??s

Once again I turn to the knowledgeable ones for help. I also would
like to publicly thank Ben Higgins for the tremendous assistance and
patience in helping me repair my SPICA microswitch and perform some
SPICA maintenance, and then getting the car running again. Now 2 more
developments have taken place.

1) I recently installed a new battery and ignition coil. After
suspecting a bad starter solenoid, I removed the starter and solenoid
to check the operation. It was very stiff, almost stuck, so I sprayed
WD-40 and cleaned out the build up.

Now, the starter has decided to act up. Sometimes it engages right
away, sometimes it may take 3,4, 5 tries.The starter isn't grinding,
it just whirs when the ignition is switched on, as though it's not
being engaged. Perhaps I didn't re-install the solenoid properly? Is
there a trick to putting it back together properly? I  could see the
crook on the  drive gear arm, and thought I set the solenoid rod up
against it properly, but perhaps not??.   The electrical connection is
fine, I cleaned the connectors, etc..

2) Another interesting phenomenon has showed up.  I'm not sure if it's
related to the new coil or battery.  The #6 fuse (counting in,
starting closest to the driver's door) has popped 3 times. It is an 8
amp fuse and I'm assuming it is the correct rating. It popped after 20
seconds (2 times), and about 4 minutes (once). The fuel, oil pressure,
and temp gauges go dead and the generator light illuminates. When
restarting after the fuse is blown the fuel pressure light does not
illuminate.

Two other observations I made prior to the fuse blowing: the fuel
pressure light is much brighter then it used to be (New battery?) and
I switched on the high beams and the indicator did not illuminate. I
checked them and the left was not on.  A little bit later it was
working.  I haven't had problems with the lights before.

Any and all advice/suggestions are appreciated.

==

Phil  D
AROC 38653
76 Alfa Spider