105 suspension speculations

Ive been talking to a few people recently, and begun to wonder about putting
a spacer between the chassis and the lower 'A' arm pivot plate (if you think
of the 'A' arm as a triangle, hinged at the base, then when I say 'pivot
plate', I mean the base of the triangle)

a friend mentioned that they were going to try this to get some -ve camber
(being much cheaper than adjustable upper arms)

my first thought was that this could possibly do very nasty things to the
suspension geometry - you are moving the lower pivot point down and out.
Ive been trying to work out what effect it would have on the camber vs
travel plot.  I'm going to try and build a model and work it out.  Maybe
I'll try and model it on my computer....

has anyone on the digest already built such a model?  or perhaps someone
knows the dimensions of the suspension geometry?

apparently a few people here have actually used this method to gain small
increases in -ve camber.  perhaps if only a small gain were required, then
the change in the transitional geomerty wouldnt be significant.  For all I
know, the spacers may a actually improve the transitional behaviour.

"But", I say to myself, "if thats the case, why dont more people do it?"
either it has consequences that are undesirable, or, noone has really
thought about it...

any thoughts?

Ben
'68 GTV 1750