164 mechanical tensioner

This is more a question for those owners in the UK etc

Did the European model 164's get the tensioner recall?
I have a 1989 164 RHD and am looking at either re-kitting the hydraulic
tensioner of replacing it with a mechanical one.
My local Alfa dealer didn't even know there was a mechanical tensioner
available and the main parts people here didn't know of its existence
either.

It would cost the same to re-kit the Hydraulic one as it would to import a
new mechanical one from the US!

Has anyone replaced a tensioner on a 1989 164? Is the mechanical one even an
option? Is it any good? What was wrong with the hydraulic one anyway? (mine
is just starting to weep)

Matthew Dooher
1989 164L
Dunedin, New Zealand