'85 Spider update

Hello all,

I just wanted to drop a note, with an update to an old problem and an =
inquiry...
The vibrations that were ailing my '85 Spider were indeed two bad =
U-joints.  My thanks to all who responded...  I now feel like I have a =
new lease on life behind the wheel... =20
The work was done by Algar Ferrari of Philadelphia and however =
professional and certified by every car manufacturer from Alfa to =
Maserati...  they were, as many of you warned, a little disinterested in =
my wheels... =20
When I examined the work order later (the service department was closed =
before I could pick-up the vehicle, so I didn't get to speak with the =
mechanic) it warned me of some future possible problems.  It reads:
Engine mounts collapsed; front exhaust pipe heat shields noisy; cylinder =
head gasket beginning to leak...
Now, I'm not a mechanic, but I know that seeing the word COLLAPSED on a =
vehicular "report card" is not a good thing...  I don't think I'll use =
that garage again, and I can't tolerate their attitude so I didn't call =
the service manager to inquire, but I did receive several suggestions to =
visit Nick Falcone's garage in Bala Cynwood...  Vince/Nick if you're out =
there, I could use a translation and your highly regarded =
recommendation. =20

Also, I was out the other night evening and nearly killed myself when =
the rear end came out on an off ramp...  I was able to recover, but I am =
getting increasingly nervous about the pending winter, and wanted to get =
a set of new tires to ease my worries (eventhough it's probably more =
operator error than anything else).  Anyway, I've got Bridgeport =
Turanzas on the car now, in good condition, but looking for some more =
road adhesion.   Can anyone recommend something more performance =
oriented that won't be burned up in 6 months!  Like the Pirellis on my =
old '90 Volvo 760 turbo (a really fantastic sedan incidentally, boxed =
styling and all)...  Thanks in advance for your help.

Finally, my canvas top really looks like shit.  I'm sorry if I offend =
but that's what it looks like.  Does any one know of a solution on the =
market that can bring it back to life?  I've thought about a new top but =
want to try something less project oriented, at least until it gets =
warmer.

Hope everyone had an enjoyable and safe Thanksgiving.

Dave Redpath
Philadelphia
'85 Spider Veloce

End of alfa-digest V7 #288