Heavy clutch

With respect to clutches getting heavier as they wear, how much heavier do
they get?  Mine started slipping occasionally about 12-18 months ago
indicating wear, but I have been living with it until I can find time to
replace it.  Currently, I am doing a lot of city driving and I sit here at
my PC this morning with a throbbing left knee from what I think is an overly
heavy clutch pedal.  Can I expect an improvement when I replace the clutch?

Cheers,

Toby.