Re AD V7#277 - And now for something completely different...

Gary Stark wrote:
I've just purchased some interesting software - VersaCheck - from
CompUSA for around $20. It comes with check forms, and allows to
custom print your own blank check forms for either hand writing, or
for use with software like Quicken, MS Money, and so on.

What it means is that you can place your favourite Alfa, Ferrari,
whatever image as a background image for your checks. Works with
Inkjet and laser printers, but (obviously) a colour printer would give
you a much more attractive looking check.

Hi Gary,

I work in the banking industry and have just spent the last 12 months of my
existence developing cheque processing systems.  I know the American banks
are more lenient but I cringe when I read this.  The high costs of
processing paper are increased (and ultimately passed back to the consumers)
through uncontrolled creation of these instruments.  I know they might look
impressive but I bet the banks over there would love to outlaw the practice.
We have very strict controls in Australia on exactly who cab print cheques.
The major issue is the MICR (Magnetic Ink Character Recognition) across the
bottom of the cheque which is how we read the thing when we process it.  You
need special laser cartridges to produce this information and rigid controls
around how it is used.  It's kind of like everybody driving Alfa Romeos.  It
might sound cool but why let everybody have fun when we can keep it all to
ourselves!  :)

Regards,

John Heidemann
Brisbane Australia