Re: GTV Thermostatic Actuators

Graham Arlen wrote:

>As is common with SPICA equipped cars the thermo. on my 74 GTV has given up
>the ghost and is not protruding. Does this cause the engine to subsequently
>run rich? Mine appears to be doing so, puffing out a very small black cloud
>upon gear changing and it is also going through a lot of gas. A common fix
>appears to be attacking the brass cylinder on the top end with a ball peen
>hammer to put some dents in it, thereby increasing the internal pressure.
Does
>this work and how is it best done?.

This might work but it doesn't solve the problem that caused the actuator to
loose fluid content to begin with. So it would only be a temporary solution
and you would destroy the core value of your actuator for trade-in. My
suggestion is to get a new one or a salvaged one. New ones are around $200.
Eventually you're going to start having problems getting the thing started.

Paul Irvine  - Antioch CA
72 Spider - 79 Sprint Veloce - 82 GTV6
Project Alfa - http://www.crl.com/~pi/project
E-Mail - mailto:pi@domain.elided