Re: A4, Milano, 164, Long opinionated post in favor of front wheel drive

Lawrence Gowin asks why nobody suggested the 164.

You didn't get many suggestions for 164's, because all of us driving them
daily don't want anyone else on the Digest to know how much fun they are to
drive.  This keeps the prices down so we can buy and drive them cheaper.

Actually, I think you didn't get many suggestions, because most people were
trying to get you in the cheapest nicest Alfa possible for the daily driver
commute, and that is without question, the Milano.

IMHO there is definitely a bias against the front drive Alfas by the major
posters on the Digest, which is certainly their right.  To hear most of the
Milano people, you would think they didn't come with timing belts, electric
seats, power windows, ABS brakes, Bosch fuel injections, etc the same as the
164.  The blower motor being the only major component on the 164 that I have
heard that fails more on the 164 than the Milano.  (Probably only because the
Milano doesn't have one.)

I have been driving a 164 daily for five and half years now, and I find them
very comfortable, very rush hour traffic friendly, and able to blow the doors
off just about everything else on the road if you do need to show someone
"who's the boss" at an exit ramp or stop light drag.

If you were considering the front drive Audi, then I think you should really
give a 164 a good look also.

Remember, the Mini was front wheel drive and I don't believe anyone seriously
believes they didn't handle.  At a recent drivers school sponsored by the KC
region of the Porsche club, I had trouble finding someone who give me help in
improving my driving technique on the 164 as everyone was a rear wheel expert.
Finally, one person was able to give me some theoretical information he had,
and with practice I was able to seriously improve my track presence.
Obviously there are differences in front vs rear wheel drive, but IMIHO a good
driver of each is better in either than an average driver of the other.  And I
doubt if there is much difference in the two for excellent drivers of either.

And since I got flamed for saying 14.5 instead of 14.7 PSI in my serious post
on my impressions of atmospheric pressure knowledge, I am prepared to be
incinerated for actually stating a favorable opinion of front drive Alfas.

John Justus
1971 1750 GTV (rear wheel drive, 125,000 miles, never a daily driver, owned
since new and still loving it, as I just spent 20% more this year getting it
into shape than I paid for it new)
1991 164S (driven daily for 5 years and now sold to very good home)
1995 164Q (current daily driver, AND fastest Alfa time of day at AROC
convention in Santa Fe, and is anyone seriously going to propose Lawrence
drive a Neon for a daily driver?)