Re: Re:Brake wear. Long

Regan,
Thanks for your consideration.

I'm not worried about my brake pad wear because I see the problem slightly
differently. I'll try to explain why. (Hope my English is sufficient for this.)

The physics of breaking, as I understand it, is this:
The size of breaking force you can get out of a friction surface (the surface
between the tires and the road) depend on the weight on the wheel. Yes?
There are other things too but we'll stop at that for now.

With that in mind, we'll have a look at the 164:
1. The weight distribution on the 164 is ~60/40 to the front. Higher loads on
the front.
2. Centre of gravity of the car is higherm up then the surface of friction and
the car tends to rotate forward when breaking witch increases the load on the
front tiers and reduce it at the rear. This can easily be seen on a car,
especially an American brand ;-), when breaking hard. It's kneeing and the rear
end lifts.
3. On the 164 there is a valve that reduces rear brake pressure when braking
 hard. This is to direct the brake pressure to the wheels with the greatest
loads and minimise the risk of losing grip at the rear wheels. The ABS system
could give the same result but it wouldn't be a good idea to have the rear ABS
act much earlier than at the front.

Because of the grater braking force the front disks are vented, have a bigger
diameter and have bigger pads.
Does this seem logical?

I take all opportunities I get to take my Alfa to the tracks and usually drive
to the fading limit of the brakes. The ratio of wear is of cause depending on
how you drive and the design is chosen so that the size of the brakes is
proportionate to the breaking fors at the wheel. The wear should, on a good
design, be equal on all wheels at normal driving conditions. I on the other
hand never drive under normal driving conditions :-).

I agree that if the hand brake is sticking you could (or should ;-) )feel it.
But it doesn't have to drag much to wear during a 10.000 mile period and
frequently use of the hand brake. I don't think this is the solution to all
problems but to the 164-community a malfunctioning handbrake mechanism is
fairly well known and worth mentioning. Especially in a climate as in Sweden
with salt on winter roads. I have changed both because of corrosion on the hand
brake axle inside the rear calliper.

Hope someone found some useful stuff in here.
Have a nice weekend.

/Peter Greis
CAR Sweden
164 3.0 V6 -90