Re: alfa-digest V7 #264

> Date: Tue, 17 Nov 1998 18:02 -0500
> From: "Terrence Meacock" <Terrence.Meacock@domain.elided>
> Subject: GTV-6 Power Steering & a Maserati Question
>

>      GTV-6:
>
>      I'd like to avoid the workout that comes with driving my GTV-6 at
>      parking speeds. Therefore, I would like to explore the possibility of
>      fitting the power steering unit from a Milano. Could someone please
>      help me answer the following questions:
>

>      - Would a Milano power steering unit be a direct fit?
>
>      - How big a fitting job would it be - any complications?
>
>      - Would I be losing any of the wonderful responsiveness and feel that
>      is part of the normal GTV-6 manual unit?
>
>      - Any other possible downsides?

You may be interested to know that the factory parts microfiche for the 1986 GTV6 shows
the car with a power steering setup, though to my knowledge it was never actually
installed by the factory. And from a purely personal viewpoint, I believe the Milano has
the best steering feel of any car I've ever driven that has power steering. If I were a
GTV6 owner, I'd be tempted to make this modification myself. I think the hardest part of
the installation would be the routing of the hard lines. If you decide to do this, I
would suggest running a small inline power steering fluid cooler to prolong the life of
the rack seals. These little coolers can be found in the junkyard under the hood of most
Ford products of the 70's and 80's. Alfa accomplished the same thing on the '88 and '89
Milano by running a hard line back underneath the body about to the middle of the
driver's door. It then loops back to the engine compartment. Good luck should you decide
to undertake this. Oh, one additional note; when I mentioned to a longtime GTV6 owner
friend that I thought the steering was awfully stiff on these cars, he told me that a
careful alignment can alleviate much of the effort. You may want to try that first.

Joel Hailey
Centerline Products
Boulder CO
303-447-0239