Spider Transmission Problems

I am a relatively new owner of an '85 Spider Veloce, and after 10,000mi =
of problem free motoring (it's my primary vehicle), I'm having some sort =
of transmission problem.

Symptoms:
Moderate to heavy vibration from behind the gearbox, in 1st, 2nd and 3rd =
gears at low RPMS. =20
Engine sounds great, an idles evenly.
When running at the high-end of the tach the vibration disappears, and =
it is virtually undetectable in 5th gear at any RPM.

What I've read or been told:
The U-joints on these cars tend to create a similar rattle, but it's =
relationship to the throttle and the gearing (by my observation anyway), =
say EXPENSIVE transmission repair.

I don't know jack about Spider repair, having only changed the oil and =
filter, so I was hoping that someone could arm me with some more info =
before I head down to the local Ferrari/Alfa service dept. and take one =
in the checkbook!

Dave Redpath
Philadelphia

'85 Spider Veloce