Re: trim adhesives

I had a piece of plastic trim fall off my Jeep Cherokee - no big deal - can't
cost more than $10 - right?  Wrong - $35 and two weeks later (had to be
ordered from the manufacturer) I had a brand new 10" x 2" piece of silver and
black OEM plastic trim.  Not wanting to lose this precious gem again I asked
the Jeep dealer how to apply the trim - I was given a 3M trim adhesive number
- - I was off to the autoparts store - $15 later I had the adhesive - I followed
the directions on the box and put the trim on the Jeep.  A week later it was
gone again.

Back to the dealer to order another piece of trim with the 3M trim adhesive in
hand (not to mention a bit of an attitude) - I ordered another piece of trim.
Dealer said "you probably didn't put enough (glue) on - that's why it didn't
stick"  Well I put so much on the second time that some squeezed out onto the
paint and looked like hell - the was impossible to get off after it dried and
was too sticky to get near while it was wet.  Two days later the trim was gone
again - the glue was still there!

Back to the dealer again (down right pissed off now) - this time the dealer
got out a box of 3M double sided tape and put the trim on for me - lasted
about a month.

$120 later I have no trim and don't really care anymore - also have a tube of
3M trim adhesive that reminds me everytime I see it why we have self tapping
screws!  I have never had much luck with "brand name special adhesives" but
good old clear silicone on a properly cleaned surface has never failed me.  If
there is a next time - guess what I reach for?

Ben Higgins
Galveston, Texas