Re: Alfetta safety

I recently bought an 1976 Alfetta GTV that was involved in an accident.  The
owner was hit in the right rear corner right above the bumper by a big
American car traveling at over 60 mph - Alfetta was doing 35-40.  It was a hit
and run - both cars were exiting the highway on an off-ramp.

The owner was un-injured and retained perfect control of the car.  The car
doesn't look too pretty but what is amazing is how the rear corner crumpled
but it didn't mess up the tailgate or it's alingment, trunk floor and tire
well are straight, the "frame" appears staright and no glass was broken.
Although the tailight lenses are cracked and folded right down the middle
(vertically) they still work!

The owner had just poured a ton of money into the mechanicals on the car and
was going to scrap it - my body shop looked the car over and said the damage
is cosmetic and for $250 will pull it out (I will finish it and replace the
taililght assembly).

Ben Higgins
Galveston, Texas