Cam Caps and Timing Marks......

Rich, ( I'm copying AD on this reply)

Apparently my email is experiencing some traffic problems (i.e. I'm not
receiving much, including yesterday's ADs).  So, since I didn't see a reply
to my cam cap question, I measured a couple last night.

The caps definitely have different scribes for different services.  For
example, on the '74 2l head I looked at, the exhaust cam mark was parallel
with the cap stud.  On the intake side, it was definitely off by an angle.
This would coincide with the 102 timing of the exhaust and the 114 timing of
the intake.

So, that's why Zat recommendation to use the exhaust cap to time both cams to
102 works.

I also checked out a pair of 10520 cams that I have laying around.  As far as
I could tell, the intake and exhaust cams are identical.  This morning, I
checked the parts manual.  It confirms this as both cams have the identical
part number.

So, my cams are timed to the factory spec of 99.5.  I was kinda hoping that I
had gotten it all wrong and some quick retiming would have yielded great
returns. As usual, that is not the case.

Thanks for questioning this.  Before, I thought I was doing it right.  Now I
know :)

After realizing that the cam timing was not the problem, I took out a spare
intake manifold and made a throttle stop jig.  Interestingly, the "straight
edge" method of setting the idle stop seems to do a pretty good job.

Regards,

Bob Brady, DVAROC