Re: Elise

The discussion of the Elise is appropriate here only in the context of
"How the Hell did they get it into the country and can I use the same
loophole to bring in an Alfa 156?"  A fair number of people seem to
think so.  Incindentally, the idea of bringing in a Lotus as a kit car
is not new.  The Lotus 7 was sold that way.  The Catherham 7 can STILL
be bought that way.  I think the Lotus owner is going to be in some
trouble.  He does admit, "the referee station will not inspect a car
with an engine that is not registered for use in the U.S."  This could
be a killer.  This is very important to remember. Alfa Romeo no longer
imports cars into the U.S. This means there are no U.S. smog legal 1998
or 1999 Alfa Romeo engines.

I suggest if you are going to try this with a 156, you get one that can
accept a U.S. smog legal V6 motor out of a 164. Go to Italy, buy a 156,
sell the motor out of it, ship the shell over here and install a 164
power plant.  I don't even know if this is really doable, but it sounds
nice.  ;=)  Remember you have to keep ALL the smog crap that the motor
was certified with. If you could build a "kit" car with the latest shell
from Italy and a U.S. spec motor from APE, you might have something.

I still it's more trouble than it's worth.  Where are you going to get
it serviced?  Are you going to be able to get insurance for it?  Worse,
what do you think the lawyers are going to do to you if you have an
accident in a car that is not officially U.S. spec?  (Shudder).

For the kind of time, money and nuisance this will cost you, you may as
well buy a used Ferrari.  A Ferrari can at least be serviced (and
serviced, and serviced, and serviced...  ;=)