Road legal Lotus Elise in California

I've just talked to a buddy of mine at Netscape in Mountain View,
California.  He says there is a green Lotus Elise in the parking lot.
It has a red sticker on it saying its road legal for 30 days.  Its in
good condition but quite used i.e. its not a new car.  My buddy is
already considering swapping his Maserati Merak for one of these babies.

Now its seems to me that the new GTV & spider as well as the 156  & 166
are even more 'legal' over here than an elise which I believe has no
hope of passing emissions.

As soon as I find out more about how they managed to make this car legal
(even for 30 days) I post it here.  Mr. Kowalski, are you still at
Netscape ?

Keith Ahern
85 Spider Veloce
79 Alfetta GTV Velocissima - soon to be sold