Chapter participation

Terry Akins made some good comments about why not to participate in your
local chapter- mostly that they don't do what you are interested in.

Quick suggestion- find other clubs in the area who DO run track events or
autocrosses.  When you start going, advertise in the local newsletter about
it, and see how many Alfa people show up.  If you get w enough interest,
you can start running events on your "own".  We kind of have the opposite
problem here in Detroit- we are part of the Detroit Council of Sports Car
Club (AROC, Corvette, Mich sp car club, SCCA, etc), and we hold 4 of the
10-12 events by the overall group.  On top of that, we also have 2 track
time days... well, you get the point.  The shows- one major one a year, and
then maybe one or two tours....

My closing speech as prez, I mentioned that we did what I wanted to do, and
if it wasn't what you wanted- get involved.  Typically, if you are consumed
by one version of "free time" there will be little energy to put on other
events.

Any Alfa chapter can run competetion events- AROC USA pays for blanket
insurance in which you can add a small premium for either autocrosses or
track time or even time trials.  As a matter of fact, the competition evnets
will probably turn into the largest source of club income.  It is for us.

If I sound like I am preaching, sorry, especially for the get involved
reference.....

Eric Storhok