Cams for '73 GTV

I used to own a '73 gtv, and now own a '74.  From my experiences of spending
a couple of years tinkering with them I can offer the following (free)
recommendations for making your car go faster, in order of efficacy:

1.  Advance the timing (stock is something like 5-7 degrees ATDC, change it
to 5-7 BTDC and you will see a HUGE improvement in performance) Just make
sure you don't advance it to the point of detonation (pinging).

2.  Increase the overlap of the cams.  Basically, you want to time the stock
cams at 102 degrees.  Stock, the intake is at 114 and the exhaust is already
at 102.  (your car will likely idle more roughly after this, have a little
less torque below 3k, but will really come on above that).

So far, after installing 10548 cams (the euro 2l) in my '74 gtv, the
improvements have been much less dramatic.  From my previous benchmarks (time
from 3k-5k in fourth and fifth gears), I can definately see an improvement.
But, these cams really seem to be most effective above 5k (which I previously
didn't measure).  So, I'm not sure I'd spend $300 on a set of these.  OTOH,
if you can pick up a set at very low cost, it's worth a few horses.  Finally,
I haven't dialed in the SPICA to work best with these cams.  The mixture is
basically where it was with the stock units.

Speaking of SPICA, you can also pick up some hp by leaning out the mixture a
tad.  I've done this experimentally which is time consuming, but works.

Good Luck,

Bob Brady, DVAROC
Yardley, PA