Subject: Cross-ply racing tires

Taiju

Your posting is timely - I was just going to pose a similar tyre-related
question here.
When I got my race car it came with GoodYear racing tyres, sorry - "tires"
- - since they were Murrican, on Gotti 3-piece wheels. We are not allowed to
use full-race tyres for classic racing but instead have to go to street
legal tyres, which race tyres are not. I replaced the GoodYears with radial
race tyres dressed to look like road tyres - you know the usual Dunlop
Formula R, Yoko 008R, Comp R... etc, in my case Hankook Z1000.  Because it
was not possible for me to test the car on the GoodYears I have no driving
comparisons - the car is not street driveable so I couldn't take it out for
a blat down the street beforehand either.

What was immediately noticeable however was the huge weight of the radial
tyres - like they seemed to weighed a million pounds more than the previous
wheel-tyre combination!  - you get the picture? Very disappointing, which
means the suspension has to be set up again for this inferior combination.

My question is - has anyone compared the weights of the various
"performance" street-legal tyres e.g 008R, Comp R.. etc (NOT road tyres eg
AVSi, etc etc)?

Les  in sunny Wellington, New Zealand enjoying the GT Veloce