Surging in my 74

Any one have any suggestions about how to stop the constant low throttle
surging in my 74 2000 spider?  I recently replaced the dist and the
exhaust,  I checked the T chain and it seemed alright, however I was
told that even if it is tight, it might be worn enough to cause a low
rpm timing inconsistancy.  If this is true, why doesn't it do it at high
rpm on the throttle.  It does when it is at high R's as long as I don't
mash it.  If I get on it, it immediately ceases and then comes back when
I aply just enough throttle to maintain speed.  Could the timing chain
be bouncing back and forth between pushing the cams and being lead by
them alternately?  Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.  As far as
I know, the cams, shims, and valves are fine so if I need a new chain
can I replace the gears only or do I have to replace the whole cam assy
incl bearings.
Any help would be tremendously appriciated,  You can reply on or off the
list if you like ,  It would be easy if you would cc: me if you reply on
the list though.
Also to the guy who was thinking of changing to electronics from the
point sys on his spider, did you call the Alfa Parts Exchange or did you
go through IAP, My understanding was that you need to convert to a bosch
dist then you can add the Crane ignition however I think APE has another
model available.. IAP didn't have a dist so I used APE then was going to
get the unit from IAP but decided to stay with points for now because of
initial cost,  I guess I'm glad I did seeing all the trouble I still
have.