Re: 1750 (and other) Weber carbs

In AD7-204 Carson Damm asks some fairly sweeping questions about rebuilding
his Webers including "Is there a web page that goes over this. What I really
want to know is how I tell when something is shot".

Don't know about a web page, but there is a basic bibliography. The three
basic ones all have the same title, "Weber Carburetors".

John Passini in GB wrote a pair of small books, one on theory (ISBN
0-903192-40-3), the other on tuning an maintenance (ISBN 0-85113-060-7). They
were in their fifth printing when I got mine in 1973, so they were well-
received basics. They are, however, written in English, not American, so one
occasionally needs to translate ('strangler' is 'choke', for instance.) A good
source.

Pat Braden in California wrote a single volume in 1988, ISBN 0-89586-377-4.
Apart from the convenience of being in American, it includes a thorough
section on conversions from Spica, and generally has more on modification
rather than strictly maintenance. Apart from being a member of the North
American Alfa community, Pat feeds family on his income as a technical writer,
which is a plus in favor of using such sources rather than just cribbing web
pages.

Haynes Publishing publishes a workshop manual written by J.H.Haynes and
A.K.Legg, ISBN 1-85019-020-9, a very thorough manual aimed more at the
conscientious garage professional than the enthusiast/tuner. It contains,
among other things, an original equipment jetting list for seventeen makes
from Alfa to Sunbeam, (including one I've never heard of, the IKA Torino GS),
and the Alfa list is further broken down into seventeen models. If you might
someday want to know specifics for other cars (say, the Australian as well as
the US as well as the basic Ferrari 308) this gets more specific than the
others.

Lastly, there is Jim Kartalamakis "How to Power Tune Alfa Romeo Twin Cam
Engines for Road and Track", ISBN 1-874105-44-8, which has some good Weber
information in the context of all of the other tweaks, and is enjoyable stuff
to dream on even if you never do it.

John H.