Re: Mice in font suspension

Thanks Les and Simon for your words of wisdom on the mice infestation
problem.  I thought I'd share with the Digest because I'm sure someone
somewhere will find the info useful.

I examined the bottom end again and I think I have identified the rear
bottom bush on the driver's side (RHD).  I lubed it with a spray lube then
put a lighter weight oil, lifted the car up and down like Les instructed...
but the creak is still there but dampened a little.  Now I thinking "How
many lives can this mice have??!!"

An hour ago I looked there again and I saw some excess oil dripping out
stained with the color of rust!  (come to think of it, it has been raining
lately)  I guess I have to be diligent with the lubing and hope it goes
away.  It creaks badly only when the car lifts or dips heavily (road humps
are very common in the Singapore suburbs)

I am aware that the oil will deteriorate rubber, but I am left with no
alternative, I didn't think that silicone lube is "good" enough (but now I
going out to buy me a can).

More questions:
Are the lower bushes suppose to rotate metal bush on metal spindle or is the
rubber (if indeed they are rubber bushes) supposed to twist?
Are seperated bushes a common problem?

Andrew "I really, really, really, really hate to have to take apart that
front end"

Les wrote
>The squeak comes from the lower bushes - the two inner ones that swivel
>when the spring moves up and down - as you correctly identified. Lube will
>fix them but first you need to get it in there. The gear oil that you're
>using is probably too thick. The easiest way is to use some cleaner type
>spray eg Valvoline or if you can't get that, CRC 5-56 spray it liberally at
>the two mating surfaces of each bush. Do this then move the suspension up
>and down - just take hold of the wheel arch and lift the car up then force
>it down several times. Keep doing this for a while and keep using lots of
>the spray.
>
>Then to finish off, use an oil can with some limited slip diff oil, or else
>no heavier than 90 weight gear oil with some moly grease mixed into it.
>Pump this onto those same places again liberally and again work the
>suspension. .... take the car for a drive.
>
>I also lube the top arm where it attaches to the body. You'll find that the
>suspension works much better with the friction gone.
>
>Hope this helps
>
>Les Singh

Simon wrote